Reports to: Chief Registrar
The mission of the Birmingham Museum of Art is to spark creativity, imagination, and liveliness of Birmingham by connecting its citizens to the experience, meaning, and joy of art. The Registrar’s Department facilitates care of and access to the Museum’s collections and exhibitions by creating and maintaining records, monitoring works of art, and working with other departments to ensure the safety of the works in the Museum’s care.
Job Purpose: This is an entry-level position, and the candidate will be expected to learn the museum registration profession. As the person acquires skills in registration, he or she will then be tasked with more complex registration projects. A portion of the responsibilities for this position will be to manage our archival files, digital management of documents, rights and reproduction requests, and tracking deadlines for the department. The Assistant Registrar will be responsible for working with all members of the Registration staff and in the absence of the Chief Registrar will report to the Senior Registrar.
- Assisting with organization of loans to and from the collection including completing loan paperwork, condition reporting, generating receipts, oversee packing or unpacking, and releasing or receiving shipments.
- Assisting with the accession and deaccession of collection items, including preparing agendas, cataloging works of art, sending receipts, and numbering objects.
- Monitors daily workflows and schedules for department members; maintains the department calendar.
- Assists with data entry/database projects using TMS (The Museum System) collections management software, including scanning and attaching documents and images, updating object locations, working on data cleanup projects under supervision, and assisting other registrars by generating reports as needed.
- Responds to internal and external requests for information regarding the collection.
- Performs time-sensitive tasks that require research and analytical skills such as reviewing object files.
- Responsible for file organization and retrieval such as new files, existing files, and files checked out by other departments.
- Responsible for handling image use requests.
- Generates and distributes reports as defined in department goals.
- Processes purchase orders, tracks payments, and reconciles monthly purchase card statement.
- Makes courier travel itineraries and reconciles related documents and expenses.
- Assists with moving art objects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned, including inventory and special projects working with documentation or works or art.
Museum office and storage areas, warehouse, occasional professional travel
Skills and Abilities
The ideal candidate is professional, courteous, organized, highly motivated and should enjoy working on detailed projects alone and with other staff in a fast-paced environment with a diverse constituency of staff, patrons, and vendors. You should have a positive demeanor; be ambitious, be eager to learn and have excellent problem-solving skills. You will participate in a variety of projects as needed and learn new skills that will build your confidence to take on more complex projects. You should be focused yet willing to take direction from supervisors and willing to be mentored. Active listening will be meaningful since training will be both in written and verbal forms. A desire to have a variety of duties and a willingness to often change from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure required.
Must be able to work in galleries and storage areas with works of art. Examination of artworks frequently demands stooping, kneeling, and bending and requires good vision. Occasional lifting and moving of artworks that weigh 25 lbs or less. Ability to participate in the transportation of artworks and to stand for long periods of time. Ought to be able to climb a four-foot ladder.
We are looking for someone who is detail-oriented and likes to participate in a variety of projects. A background in art history is not necessary but would assist the candidate. We are especially interested in someone who is a lifelong learner and who likes to follow best-practices in completing tasks assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Analytical skills including the ability to work with a relational database
- Strong problem-solving, organization, and time-management skills
- Preferred candidate would have 2-3 years of experience in an office environment working with project and time-management; previous experience in registration a plus.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Candidates should submit online a letter of interest; resume; names, addresses, and phone numbers of three referencesApply Now