With springtime just around the bend, the BMA is gearing up to celebrate with our annual Holi Festival. An ancient Hindu holiday that began in India, Holi festivals now take place all over the world to welcome the changing of the season. Join us this Saturday, March 9, from 11am to 3pm, as we celebrate our 9th Annual Holi: A Festival of Color. Still curious about what this day is all about? Here’s a list of five of the amazing activities we have planned!
- Watch traditional dance performances. Join us in the Steiner Auditorium between 11am to 2pm to be entertained by a variety of talented dance groups as they perform traditional Bollywood and classical dances. Be sure to come early and bring the kids—children’s groups are first up on our program!
- Get a beautiful henna tattoo. We are so excited to have Blue Lotus Mehndi with us to give our guests authentic henna tattoos. Swing by the lobby anytime between 11am and 3pm to discover this centuries-old art form.
- Create your own art. Come to the main lobby any time during the festival to create some awesome traditional art of your own including Holi color dolls, DIY spring flowers, and clay snakes inspired by Mucilinda, the snake-like being, who protected the Gautama Buddha from the elements after his enlightenment. This activity is a family friendly, hands-on way to learn more about Indian art and culture!
- Enjoy out-of-this-world Indian food. The BMA is pulling out all the stops with food options throughout the entire festival. Visit our Cafe to enjoy mouth-watering Veggie Biryani from Taj India or take a little trip outside for some incredible dishes from the Hyderabad Dum Zone Food Truck. Be sure to come hungry and bring your appetite!
- Ring in the spring with the Throwing of the Colors. At the conclusion of the festival, guests will gather in the parking lot for the traditional throwing of powdered colors. Come prepared to get messy and be ready to take lots of pictures!
Holi is sponsored by the Indian Cultural Society. The 2018-2019 Family Festivals Series is presented by Medical Properties Trust.