This Memorial Day weekend, visit the BMA for a trip around the world — no passports required. Here are five reasons to spend your staycation at the Museum:
- Entertain the little ones- Traveling with small children? Visit Bart’s ArtVenture, the Museum’s state-of-the-art interactive gallery designed for visitors with children who want to explore art at their own pace, guided by their own interests. The two family spaces feature more than 15 hands-on learning stations that encourage exploration, discovery, and creativity.
- Take it easy- The most important part of any staycation is relaxation. This Sunday, unlock the secrets of works in the Museum’s collection by cultivating the art of looking slowly. Our docents ask and answer questions to help guide your slow art experience and foster conversation. You will leave the Museum feeling inspired – not tired!
- Shop and support- If your weekend plans include a little retail therapy, visit the Museum Store where you will find everything from one of a kind gifts made right here in Alabama to unique treasures from around the world. You won’t feel buyer’s remorse knowing that the proceeds from your purchase directly support the BMA.
- Discover something new- See the colors of the rainbow in our Uzbekistan Ikat exhibit. Learn about Vodou in our Haitian Flags collection. Study the intricate details of an ancient samurai’s suit of armor in our Japanese Art gallery. Whether you have visited the BMA before or not, you’re bound to find something in our galleries that you’ve never seen before. A mere 12% of the Museum’s collection of 27,000 objects is on view at any given time, so our preparators are constantly working to rotate and refresh our gallery spaces.
- It’s free- Admission to the Museum is always free. Need we say more?