The BMA has a fine collection of “glass house whimsies”—also known as “end-of-the-day glass”—which were items made by glass workers on their own time, for their own use and enjoyment, or to demonstrate their skill. These include glass canes, smoking pipes, swords, gavels, and this colorful rolling pin, recently given by longtime BMA docent Anne Burnette and her sister, Juanita Kilpatrick.
Dr. Roy T. Ward from Watkinsville, Georgia, has been a friend of the Museum for over twenty years. His first donation of Japanese prints to the collection came in 1995, and, since then, he has generously donated other outstanding Japanese prints and woodblock printed books to the Museum. This past summer Dr. Ward invited Donald Wood, the Museum’s Asian Art curator, to visit and choose gifts for the Museum from his collection.
Thanks to the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Herb Sklenar and their family, the Museum purchased a major example of 18th-century English landscape painting. This glorious view of Chatsworth, one of the stately “treasure houses” of Britain, was painted in about 1725 by Pieter Tillemans (1684-1734), a Flemish artist who played an important role in spreading the visual language of landscape painting.