The Birmingham Museum of Art is an inclusive, guest services-oriented organization. Employees and volunteers receive special training to address the needs of visitors requiring special assistance. The Birmingham Museum of Art welcomes visitors with special needs and every effort will be made to accommodate the special needs of visitors:
Visitors With Disabilities
· Accessible Entrances for visitors are marked outside the building.
· Seeing eye, hearing ear and other animals assisting people with disabilities are welcome in all areas of the Birmingham Museum of Art.
· Restrooms are all equipped for visitors with disabilities.
· Wheelchairs are available in the Coat Check area for guests needing mobility assistance.
· The Audio Script of the Museum’s Permanent Collection is available in a booklet to be checked out at the information desk for the hearing impaired.
· A Blind and Visually Impaired Program is available. Tactile models and pictorial description allow the blind to “see” art. The Birmingham Museum of Art is one of four Museums chosen by the Museum of Modern Art to participate in a study to develop tours for the sight impaired. Appointments for this program should be made through the Education Department at 205.254.2975.