Visitor and staff security is of paramount importance to the Birmingham Museum of Art. While primary responsibility for the Museum’s safety and security resides with the Security Department, ensuring the safety and security of visitors, the facility and its contents is a responsibility that is shared by all. Security Personnel are located at desks on both entrances of the museum, as well as in the galleries.
Protecting our guests and the integrity of the building and its contents is a task that requires constant vigilance. To assist in those efforts:
· Be alert for situations that threaten the safety or security of visitors, the facility or its contents.
· Trust your instincts. If you get a feeling that something is not right, there is likely a reason. It is far better to err on the side of safety and security than to regret not acting should a situation warrant. Do not put yourself at any personal risk.
Examples of Possible Safety/Security Threats:
While it is impossible to anticipate every situation that may represent a threat to safety or security, possibly threatening situations may include:
· An unattended package
· An apparent heart attack or other acute physical distress
· Threat to the art
· Lost child
· Smoke or fire
· An accident involving a guest or visitor
· A visitor in an agitated state that is attracting the attention of other guest
· The display of a weapon of any kind, including scissors or pocket knives.
WHEN IN DOUBT, CONTACT A SECURITY OFFICER OR DIAL EXTENSION 3907.
If you encounter a lost child:
· Calmly tell the child your name and ask for theirs.
· Notify a Security officer or dial extension 3907.
· Follow any instructions provided by Security personnel.
If a parent or teacher reports a lost child:
· Notify a Security officer or dial extension 3907
· Follow any directions offered by Security personnel.
· Calmly reassure the person reporting the lost child that Security is acting immediately and is working to locate the missing child.
· Be prepared to answer any questions posed by Security personnel.
Visitors who are separated from their group:
· Direct the visitor to the Security officer or dial extension 3907.
Lost and Found is located in the main Security Office. Anything found must be turned over to Security. Before returning lost property to a guest, Security will ask the guest to describe the property.