Birmingham Museum of Art Mission Statement:
The mission of the Birmingham Museum of Art is to provide an unparalleled cultural and educational experience to a diverse community by collecting, interpreting, and preserving works of art of the highest quality.
Volunteer Mission Statement:
To advance the mission of the Birmingham Museum of Art by welcoming visitors, engaging visitors in museum programs, and responding to visitors’ educational and hospitality needs.
Procedures and Policies:
· Only current members of the Museum may become volunteers
· Orientation and training are required of all active Museum volunteers.
· A Museum identification badge must be worn when working as a volunteer in the Museum.
As a volunteer, you are expected to fulfill your obligations when scheduled to work. If you are unable to do this, please contact the volunteer office promptly.
· Volunteer hours are to be recorded by each individual volunteer. The Museum uses these hours as documentation when requesting funds for grants.
· Volunteers sign in before each shift using the touch screen located on the first floor.
Benefits of Volunteering:
· Volunteering provides personal enrichment, offers increased knowledge in the arts, and provides opportunities to develop new skills and make new friends with similar interests.
· Volunteers help to strengthen the Museum and play an active role in its success.
· Volunteers receive an additional discount in the Museum Store and Cafe, above that of regular members.
· Volunteers are eligible to take advantage of the “volunteers only” trips.
· Volunteers are recognized for the annual service hours at a special volunteer recognition event held at the end of the season.
Representatives from all areas of volunteer activities at the Museum are selected to serve on the Volunteer Council. The purpose of the Council includes the promotion of public interest in the Museum and fostering of its volunteer programs.